Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Going Home to Bountiful

Did you know?????
That three famous movies were shot in Waxahachie?
                            Tender Mercies



Places in the Heart






Places in the Heart is the reason we moved to Waxahachie, Tx. The movie had been released just prior to Tim being transferred to Dallas. We loved the movie so much that the opportunity to live in the setting of the movie, Waxahachie, was just too good to pass up.



Trip to Bountiful








Trip to Bountiful is my all time favorite movie.... 
This movie transports me to a time and place of my childhood.
Mrs. Carrie Watts, Geradine Page's character, is a composite of my aunts and grandmothers.
She dresses almost exactly the same way my grandmother Pearl dressed.
Singing the old time hymns such as Blessed Assurance, reflects the Southern Baptist heritage of my dad's family.
We would travel to Houston, Texas, at least once a year to visit my grandparents...
Just as Carrie Watts wants to visit Bountiful, her childhood home, once more before she dies, I would cherish the moment, if possible, to revisit a family gathering at my grandparent's home in Houston.....enjoying a big family dinner with my grandparents and parents, aunts, uncles and cousins....all of us gathered around the huge table on my grandparent's davenport....
As the old saying goes, "You don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore"....so goes it for me... I miss my extended family terribly...I'd love to have them all back if only for awhile..
I guess that goes with growing older and being the "oldest" living generation....
 I love it that I live in Texas.
I was born in Beaumont and this is home to me........
And, living in Waxahachie, the home of such Texas classics as Tender Mercies, Trip to Bountiful, and Places in the Heart is a pleasant reminder of my childhood family.

No comments: