Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fundraising.......It's Just Not My Thang...

Taylor and all of his siblings, when not being homeschooled, have attended small private religious schools. Our family made the decision to combine a homeschool with a private school education for several reasons - small classes, more control in the actual process of educating our children, and basically not having to deal with the negative aspects of a public school education....However, let me clarify that private schools have their own set of problems that I will not discuss in this post. Homeschooling has its' own pitfalls, as well - even if the homeschooling parent is an excelllent teacher and diligent at his or her job! I'll write about this in a future post.

This post is about Fundraising....the nasty unavoidable task of the private school....especially the "small" private school. Now, as much as I abhore fundraising, I totally "get" why it has to be done. Private schools are completely self supporting, unless they have a church sponsor them, which indeed does help tremendously. Taylor's private school has no outside church support. His school totally depends on the funds raised through tuition and fundraising projects. That being said, the type of fundraiser where the student and his parents have to ask friends, relatives, and yes, I said it, even good acquaintances such as the family's pastor, hair dresser, pet groomer, fellow church members etc.....for money is a gigantic pain to me. I would rather do an entire day of heavy yard work than ask people for money. Taylor is participating in a walk/run event where people donate money either in a lump sum or by the lap for each lap he runs or walks.

I just flat cannot bring myself to ask many people to sponsor Taylor. I sent donation literature to three of my adult children....the ones that have pretty decent jobs. Then, Taylor wanted to send one to a close extended relative. I tried to soften the blow by letting this person know ahead of time....He interrupted me in mid-sentence....."Are you asking me for money"? 

Inside, I spoke softly to myself...."Ouch."  He was quite generous with his donation, but it still felt awkward. This person sent his kids to public schools, so it was a bit awkward to ask him for a donation towards my son's private school education. I don't think I'll do that again....not because of anything this relative did, but because somewhere down deep in my heart of hearts, asking people to fund my son's education just doesn't ring true....

Now, TR and I will make a relatively sizable donation with respect to our own financial situation so that Taylor will have a "sponsor". But, we could just as easily have just made the donation without the walk/run event......and, Taylor would have been in the classroom learning that day instead of in the park sweating. But, not all parents feel the same way I do, or have the means to make a sizable donation......Hence, every year there will be the same walk/run event, and students will be asked to ask others for money....

What do you think??? I'd welcome comments concerning this subject. Fundraising has been a biggie for me ever since our kids have been in private school.

5 comments:

BillySue said...

I HATE asking for money too. When i was part of that particular fundraiser i didn't do it. They actually required one year that i was to have at least one sponsor. What were they going to do if i DIDN'T have one?! suspend me? With that in mind i still didn't ask for money from anybody! I'm such a rebel, i know. :). actually, i think you snuck in you sponsorship for me. Which totally canceled my rebelness. :/

I believe that they should sell cookie dough, that way the buyer can get something in return. Cookie dough is where it's at yo!

Sarah said...

Thank you, Billie Sue for your honest response! I like the idea of cookie dough...or something to sell. When I was in Jr. High Choir we sold the World's Finest Chocolate. People in my hometown could hardly wait for fall when the choir students sold chocolate....We sold a LOT of chocolate...It bacame a tradition that everyone looked forward to....

Michael McGinley said...

I agree with the cookie dough fundraiser! As a self-sustaining school, it is important to generate revenue to ensure the school can function and that the students can receive an education - how they go about raising funds is VERY important though. I have supported private schools many times in the past when friends whose children were participating in a fundraiser were selling cookie dough. I was reluctant at first, but eventually gave in and bought a single bucket of this one brand of cookie dough whose name escapes me. Point being though, once I cooked up a batch of these cookies.. they were so amazingly good. They weren't too expensive either too - 15 bucks for a bucket of 20 cookie dough nuggets. They were SO GOOD! It was nice that a school went around selling a product instead of simply asking for money. The next 5 times friends approached me selling that same brand of cookies, I gladly bought several buckets of them. It was nice knowing that I can buy some delicious snacks and support a school at the same time. I imagine it makes the fundraising process easier on parents too due to the fact that they know the sponsors are getting something in return. In your case mom, I can especially see how it would be so stressful and uncomfortable knowing that you were essentially asking people to simply give their money to a good cause, but they would still not really get a chance to see the benefits of their donation. That's pretty hard. Event still, for family, it's not that bad :-) It's for my little brother, so I get to see (or at least hear about) the progress he makes every day. That's more than enough reward for me!

Sarah said...

Awww, Mike!! First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you for commenting on my post. This makes my day.....or evening!! That cookie dough must really be good. I have never bought any of it...but, you've sold me.. Asking people for money is hard for me, because I know individuals and families struggle to make ends meet. I watch my own adult children do that!! But, on the other hand, I am kind of complemented if one of my friend's kids asks me to donate or buy something for their school. I see it as being on their "friends" list....
Thanks again, Mike....I've loved hearing your perspective!

BillySue said...

Jeez, mike. Thanks for stealing my thunder! you and your awesome grammar and vocabulary anger me! grrrrr! :)