Sunday, September 5, 2010

Seizures........Not Fun....


Isaiah and Stephen
Today Soo-Jin, Taylor, Christine, Isaiah, and I piled into my SUV and headed off to church...TR had already gone to the early service with three of our adult disabled children...Now, it was my turn to take a bit larger group. Getting ready takes awhile, because Isaiah requires involved care to make him all spiffy. Isaiah has a disability named Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum. This disability ranges from mild to severe. Isaiah's case is severe. At his age, getting him ready for church includes a good washing, shaving, a hair cut (at least this morning, not always), and being sure his clothes are straight and his shoes are on the right feet...We woke up plenty early to take care of all the necessary duties involved in getting him ready to venture out into public...

We drove the 30 minutes to church, but just as we were driving into the parking lot, I realized I had not given Isaiah his seizure medicine. If he goes without this medicine, he will definitely have not just one seizure, but several throughout the day. It's so important, and in my haste to get everyone out the door, I totally forgot to take care of the most important task....

So, sadly, we made a U-Turn in the church parking lot and headed back home. I apologized to the kids...They mostly love to go to church. Christine had been up for hours getting herself ready. She is totally blind, but is so independent. She had adorned herself with multiple bracelets and a necklace. Of course, she had her favorite purse on her arm...She is such a girly-girl....

I felt such a letdown...But, I just couldn't risk Isaiah having a seizure, much less one in church. I'm confident the congregation would freak. It would be bad. We are used to his seizures. While they are not pleasant, we know that they will pass and Isaiah will eventually be his old self again....But, to see a seizure if you have never seen one, can be unnerving....

We stopped by a convenience store on the way home...At least, I could provide a soda for all their trouble of getting in their best duds..... They all looked so nice!!!

I told them I was so sorry....It was my fault, and I would try to do better next time. Soo-Jin said, "Mom, it was nobody's fault." She is such a sweetheart....Thank you, God, for entrusting them to me...They are my angels.... They are my family...forever, and always...and no matter what.

No comments: