Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Decorating With Mantels......


I love to decorate. I get my "decorating" gene and my "love to shop" gene from my mother.... She was well known for her passion in creating a warm, contemporary, and BOLD living space. She loved a traditional living room, but she could just as easily put together an African Safari kitchen complete with wild animals and jungle plants on the ceiling!! She was fearless when it came to expressing her 5" 2" decorating self!! 

So, it is for better or worse that I'm going to stick my antique neck out there with a bit of decorating advice. Some of you may think this idea is kooky, but who knows, maybe there's just a few people or even just one person that finds this decorating tip just the key to solve their decorating dilemma.


Here goes......One idea that some of you might want to incorporate in your homes or apartments is the idea of placing a mantel on the wall. You don't have to have a real fireplace...just create a faux fireplace. I have six mantels in my home, but I only have one actual fireplace. The mantels give each room a foundation from which to create ....Take a look at three antique mantels I have in my home.....




This mantel came from an architectural salvage store in Dallas.





This antique mantel is from the mid nineteenth century. I've had it for about fifteen years. I've forgotten where I bought it.





I bought this mantel from a dealer friend of mine. She found it at a garage sale.......Wow....


I sold a fair amount of mantels when I had my antique store. I would even set up an area of the store as if it were a living room complete with a mantel, sofa, chairs, desk....the whole picture..... The first action I take when decorating a room, even a bedroom, is to place a mantel on the wall. When I enter a room with a mantel my spirit relaxes.......I begin to feel at home in that space......

When searching for a mantel, check out the antique stores, but also try an antique auction or a flea market. You would be amazed at the bargains you can find. Also, don't forget garage sales. I've bought and sold mantels at garage sales. One lady bought an antique mantel from me at MY garage sale for $20.00!!

What do you think about decorating with a faux fireplace? Has anyone used a mantel to decorate a room?






1 comment:

BillySue said...

I'll be sure to get one when i get a house!!! That is if i decide to get a house someday...:/