Sunday, January 23, 2011

1000 Kicks

A few weeks ago, it was announced in my Tae Kwon Do school that our school would be hosting a "kickathon" to raise money for the USA ITF TKD Team that was going to the TKD World Cup Tournament in New Zealand. My teacher is a coach for the USA Team. A Fifth degree Black Belt, he has a great school and is an awesome instructor.
Now, keep in mind that at fifty-eight years old, I am the second oldest person in the school. I started studying TKD when I was fifty-five years old. I am now a "Red Belt"......Red stands for Danger....so watch out for me!!????!!  (" I think I can, I think I can," said the little RED engine!)
Anyway......the goal for all students participating in the kickathon was to complete 1000 kicks in five hours or less. When I first heard those words come out of my instructor's mouth, I thought there would be no way on God's green earth that I could do 1000 kicks. But.....today I did 1000 kicks in approximately 90 minutes. Taylor, my son and partner, also completed 1000 kicks.


Right now I feel quite wonderful at completing all those kicks. But....the consequence of completing that many kicks is the knowlege that I can do it.....Now, I have no excuse to not complete a significant number of kicks every day. I admit that I love to do kicks. Kicking has so many benefits; kicks release pent-up stress, help develop balance, burns a decent number of calories and for me, instills a sense of peace and calm. Kicking is all good!

1 comment:

BillySue said...

HAHA your too funny Dr.Jones! (Indiana Jones in case you didn't catch that.)

Congratulations on all those kicks you guys! you guys look awesome