Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sparring Equals A Bad Hair Day!

. Okay, every Monday and Wednesday I fight big, bad boys that are young enough to be my sons........Actually, one of them is my son, Taylor! Now, I like to think I'm holding my own against them, but in reality, they are probably holding back so they won't be accused of "creaming" the TKD Grandma!
In order to protect my delicate parts, I wear protective gear.....In my opinion, the most important piece of equipment being my helmet. However, at the end of each fifteen to twenty minute sparring session, I remove my head gear to reveal sopping, wet hair that is literally plastered to my scalp. This is so humiliating for me. There's absolutely no dignity to it.....I just have to swallow any vanity I have and try to not think about my sticky, drenched hair that is beyond any "fixing". I must really love TKD because I truly am vain when it comes to being "presentable" in public. From my vantage point I perspire more than anyone else in my class! The young girls seem to emerge from sparring, hair relatively sweat free.....and then, there's me! Thankfully, sparring comes at the end of class so I can make a quick exit and head home for the shower! One goal of the TKD journey is to learn humility.........I just never anticipated I would learn humility through being vain over my hair!

3 comments:

Ona said...

Interesting! My humility came when I first started. I would fall all the time. I still fall but only when I attempt the "trick" kicks like the 540 or 720. It's pretty scary. I've actually been struggling with pride in TKD. So I have to really focus on God and the grace and mercy He has shown me that I can even be where I am. I definitely don't like having to be humbled by God - it's the worst thing. But Hebrews 12:11 says, "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."

Sarah said...

Thank you for the post, Ona!! It took me a long time to gather the courage to step out onto the floor with young people...For a year before that, I had just been sitting in the audience watching Taylor. Suddenly, all the moms and dads I had been sitting with were now watching me! But...I'm so glad I took the leap of faith and did not give up! I'm so much healthier than I was three years ago!

Ona said...

That's great, Mrs. McGinley! I, too, am much healthier than I was 5 years ago :)