Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dreams.......

Recently, my husband and I saw the new movie, Inception. Then, I saw the movie with my daughters, Suzanne and Soo-Jin.......Then, I took my sons Taylor, Thomas, Chris, and Patrick to see the flick......I have had several opportunities to reflect on the "meaning" of the movie.

The main idea weighing in my mind is the concept of the "reality" of our dreams......My mother died in 2000; I didn't have any sisters. My mom and I were the only female presence in my immediate family. She was not only my mom, but also my best friend. My mom had a hard life, and because of that, I think she depended on me in ways that were unhealthy. However, I also depended on her in ways that were probably unhealthy....... That being said, she was the most influential person in my life. She loved me more than anyone could ever love a person. She was my mom and my best friend. Many times I desperately wish I could visit with her for just an hour or two. ........And, sometimes I do.....in my dreams.....

I don't dream about my mom every night....But, when I've been especially missing her, or when something difficult happens in my life, she visits me in my dreams. So, in a strange way, the dreams become part of my reality. I know the situations in my dreams and the way she responds to me is dependent on my  subconscious, but, I don't care......I never brush these dreams off as silly or inconsequential. They are extremely consequential to me because they give me great comfort making my life better than if I did not have them.....

The Bible records many instances of God speaking to people through their dreams. I can recount at least twice where I believe God spoke to me through a dream.....What are your thoughts about the "reality" of dreams? I would love some comments on this subject!!!!

2 comments:

BillySue said...

Some people might not think anything of dreams, but i do! I've heard about people being warned about disasters in their dreams. There was one person who i heard of that dreamed about a tornado and she went into her closet because a voice told her to. And coincidentally, a tornado occurred in her town a couple of weeks later. She remembered her dream and jumped into the closet with the rest of her family. After the tornado was over, she opened the closet door and her whole house had literally dissapeared except for the closet she and her family were standing in. So from now on every dream i have i take as a sign. I know that is probably unhealthy and can get a person paranoid, but you never know! That green pig with wings i saw from my dream just might haunt me in reality! :) just joking, it wasn't a green pig. IT WAS BLUE! :)

But in all seriousness! Whenever i have a dream then wake up from it, sometimes i get a weird feeling like i should remember what happened in it. Because whatever was in the dream might be relative to whatever is coming my way in reality. I have actually had a dream where i was pulled over by a police officer in Waxahachie. The next day i remembered the dream and slowed down in town. I saw a police officer campin' out exactly where he was in my dream! I don't know why i was warned about a police officer, but I'm cool with it! I didn't get a ticket! I also have dreams that are completely random and my only thought of it is, "hm. that was a weird dream. Oh well! Time to get a shower!"

Sarah said...

I loved your comment, BillieSue! I agree that we can be warned of possible bad events via our dreams. I think there is a LOT that happens in our brains that we cannot explain. We human beings are extremely complex creatures!!
Thank you for your comment!!